Re: Re: [RFC/PATCHES] xc3028 hybrid tuner, em28xx/em2880-dvb, saa7134, cx88

Michael,

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Michael Krufky wrote:

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

The proposed changes are simply too large and span too many source files
to achieve a proper review by enough developers, especially in their
"spare time," not to mention all the regression testing that needs to be
done.

As much as we try to come to an agreement about this right now, I fear
that it will be very difficult -- this debate has gone on for over a
year and reaching an agreement will not be easy.

Please take note, that if we proceed in the order above, this will allow
us to merge the majority of Markus' changes, leaving only the api
changes behind.  At this point, the remainder of the changesets will be
MUCH smaller, and much easier to review.

If you simply shoot me down for the idea of temporarily having a
separate dvb module for the dvb subsystem to interface with the xc3028
tuner,  then you are not seeing the big picture.

I think you have only a partial view of the big picture.

We should remind that we've started discussing a common code for tuners even before Markus iniciative, when we've re-designed tuner-simple to look like dvb-pll in a way that the same code could handle both functions.

Every time someone tries to work on this direction, people run away, opting to the path of duplicating the code. Until now, the argues in favor of the duplication relies in the fact that the duplicated code on dvb-pll and tuner-simple is not big. For xc3028, however, it is a big code duplication. Also, I can't foresee any hope on a common code in the near future if we go to the duplication path.

To make things worse, duplicating xc3028 code means a complete rework on em28xx code. This doesn't seem to be good and won't solve the issue.

IMO, we should really focus on some code proposition and work on it, until have most of us happy, not risking break any driver.

That's said, we should really try to cope together for having a solution.

From my side, I've actively reviewed all Markus patch series. The changes
are not so big, but, since he replaced the usage of the main dvb frontend struct to a newer one, all drivers needed to be changed. His series looks ok, but, as touches on all frontends, the internal API should be tested for all drivers.

The proposed an alternative patch series I've worked were just adding the newer fields needed from his approach into dvb_frontend struct.

My suggestion is to you all to take a look on those changes. If the direction (on Marcus original series or on my series) is ok, we can improve the corresponding patch series as needed, with contributions from the developers.

The API changes(*) on my proposed series are all at:

	http://linuxtv.org/~mchehab/mrec2/hg_mrec_01.patch

(*) Please ignore the "removal" of xc3028.c from the patch above - The driver were renamed on Markus tree and moved to another directory. If all accept this approach, I will move that part to the patch that creates tuner-xc3028.c.

Cheers,
Mauro.