Re: Re: [RFC/PATCHES] xc3028 hybrid tuner, em28xx/em2880-dvb, saa7134, cx88

If I compare that solution with the
solution I provided your one is
only half way done, you add a dependency for a structure which will
never be fully used (only 1 member of dvb_frontend, dvb_tuner_ops will
be used).

As I said, this is a sugestion. For sure, improvements can be done.
The main point is not risking breaking other drivers.

If you look at v4l_dvb_tuner_ops it's clear what it intends to be and
in no way it adds extra struct definitions which do not belong there,
if you look at dvb_frontend in tuner-core.c it has nothing to do with
the tuner, it also contains the callbacks for the digital demod.

It also requires all the dvb headers.
#include "dvb_frontend.h"

#include <linux/dvb/frontend.h>
#include "dvbdev.h"

dvbdev.h is not needed at all either, even if gcc might wipe out the
defined functions because they're not used.

I can't see any troubles including those headers, except for a slower compilation. Later, somebody may write a patch reorganizing the includes.

We shouldn't care about hacks to keep the noise on the ML low, put the
technical aspect (which includes a solution for all the requirements)
infront of everything then I might agree with your patch.

It is not a matter of keeping noise low, but, instead, avoid breaking existing drivers. This is a technical issue: smaller changes means less lines to check, and more unlikely to break an existing driver.

Cheers,
Mauro Carvalho Chehab
http://linuxtv.org
mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx