> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Linux DVB <linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Hartmut Hackmann <hartmut.hackmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: fmd1216me integration
>
> Here's my latest patch for fmd1216me integration into dvb-pll.  It's little
> changed from when I posted it three weeks ago, except for cxusb which is
> now part of the patch.
>
> I'm going to try to get it into mainline soon for the 2.6.22 window, so if
> there are comments now is the time.

I tried your patch with my modified MD7134 card and it works. Great job!

> -----------------------------
> Integrate all users of the fmd1216 tuner with dvb-pll
>
> From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Enhance the dvb-pll definition of the fmd1216 tuner by adding an init sequence
> and a sleep sequence.
>
> The init sequence sets the AGC control register to 0xa0, selecting the fast
> time constant and 112 dBuV take-over point.  This the recommended value for
> DVB-T operation.
>
> The sleep sequence sets bit P4 (which is believed to turn the analog
> demodulator on), turns off the tuning voltage, and sets the AGC control
> register to 0x60 (external AGC voltage, the recommended value for analog
> operation).

Meanwhile i rechecked this. It is definitely the P4 bit that turns the
tda9886 on and off. I also played around with bit P6 but i didn't find out what
it is good for.
This has nothing to do with your patch. We already discussed this: the power on
value of P4 is 0 wich means that the tda9886 is disabled and the tuner driver
will not find the chip.
I tried a workaround for saa713x: The driver has a card specific initialization
function after i2c is up and BEFORE the tuner module is requiested. When i send
the "sleep" sequence here, the tda9886 is found and the card works. This has the
disadvantage that the tuner module must not be loaded before, otherwise it will
be too late.
I don't want to fiddle around with the cx88 module, maybe the same patch is
possible here too.

> The existing dvb-pll users in the cx88 driver, listed below, will gain these
> init and sleep sequences.
> CX88_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR1100    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1100 DVB-T/Hybrid
> CX88_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR1100LP  Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1100 DVB-T/Hybrid (Low Profi
> CX88_BOARD_WINFAST_DTV2000H     WinFast DTV2000 H
> CX88_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR3000    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR3000 TriMode Analog/DVB-S/DV
> CX88_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR1300    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1300 DVB-T/Hybrid MPEG Encod
>
> This non-dvb-pll user in the cx88 driver should only gain the sleep sequence,
> as it already had an equivalent init sequence.  The non-dvb-pll code for this
> user is removed.
> X88_BOARD_DNTV_LIVE_DVB_T_PRO   digitalnow DNTV Live! DVB-T Pro
>
> In these saa7134 driver, these non-dvb-pll users are converted to use dvb-pll:
> SAA7134_BOARD_MD7134                    Medion 7134
> SAA7134_BOARD_ASUS_EUROPA2_HYBRID       Asus Europa2 OEM
>
> The saa7134 functions philips_fmd1216_tuner_init(),
> philips_fmd1216_tuner_sleep(), and philips_fmd1216_tuner_set_params() are
> deleted and the dvb-pll versions are used.
>
> This should result in equivalent sleep, init, and tuning sequences being sent
> to the tuner.
>
> For the cxusb driver, only one board is effected:
> USB_PID_MEDION_MD95700          	Medion MD95700
>
> This board used dvb_usb_tuner_init_i2c() and dvb_usb_tuner_set_params_i2c()
> for init and tuning, respectively.  These functions are effectively the same
> as the dvb-pll versions.  They call a tuner pass control function defined at
> the dvb-usb level, but this does not matter, as this card does not have a
> tuner pass control function (only the dib3000mb does).  This board will gain
> the sleep sequence, while init and tuning should be unchanged.

<snip>

Best regards
   Hartmut