Re: Linux DVB front end

Binu Balakrishnan wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Looking at the linux DVB front end API, I couldnot find any
> functionality related to analog transmissions like TV systems, read out
> of AFC information. Can anybody give some information on how this API
> can be extented for analog

DVB was originally meant for use with Digital devices. For simple PLL's
things are/were quite easy to setup the PLL through sending a few bytes
for the same, eventhough not explicitly having an exhaustive API for the
analog part. With silicon tuners, devices that provide more
functionality rather than being too simple and introduces a a few issues
with such cases.

The easy way to handle such devices (since Analog not being a part of
the DVB frontend API and that the frontend related information is
handled through the I2C bus, it is not too hard to register an analog
tuner interface through the I2C bus, which would mean that you are
registering the tuner from the I2C interface from the bridge directly,
rather than through the DVB frontend interface) You would of course need
to have locking between the Analog and Digital Interfaces. The current
situation might change in the future. I did have a proposal [1] a little
while back to provide support for the same even for devices using DSP's
which require them to know the modulation/delivery system etc for
setting up the FIR filter implementation on it. For providing additional
functionality, we can provide a callback for each new functionality as
well in such a case.

Regards,
Manu

[1]http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.video4linux/32821/match=multi+std+silicon+tuners+analog