Re: Problem with TT C1500

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 17:48 +0100, Robert wrote:
> Jarle Bjørgeengen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a rather strange ( I think) problem with a TT C1500 card I just
> > bought.
> >
> > When watching tv directly with
> >
> > 1 MythTV -> Watch TV
> > 2 xine dvb://
> > 3 dvbstream -ps | mplayer -
> >
> > , all these methods of watching DVB directly gives a LOT of artifacts in
> > picture and sound. (blocking mostly.)
> >
> > _But_ if i do dvbstream -ps > file.mpeg , and then mplayer or xine to
> > play the file there is _no_ artifacts. This goes for both encrypted and
> > non-encrypted channels  . (CommonInterface and Conax CAM is intialized
> > and seems to be working with my program card. . )
> >
> > I even tried both knoppmyth and Mythdora (newest versions as of april
> > 2007), end both have the same problem.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue what could cause such behavior ?
>
> Do you by any change have an NVIDIA graphics card?
>
> I had a similar problem a while ago with my HVR3000 DVB-S card.
> Recording to disk worked fine.  But try to record and watch at the same
> time caused artifacts.
>
> I managed to track this down to two things.
>
> Firstly if I used the NVIDIA binary drivers, I had this problem, but if
> I used the "nv" driver I didn't.  For me using the nv driver wasn't
> really an option (MythTV menus were horribly slow)
>
> Eventually I re-aligned my sat dish to get better reception and the
> problem went away even with the NVIDIA drivers.
>
> So it seems that somehow the NVIDIA graphics drivers were causing
> interferrence with the DVB-S capture card.

I verified that it is the problem, by watching the BER numbers from czap
go from 0 to 3 digit order when starting playback of anything on the
screen using the nvidia driver.

I have now swapped PC with an older Dell Optiplex with ATI graphichs,
and it is working fine. I didn't manage to get the nv driver to drive my
40 inch Sony HDTV at any higher resolution than 480p ... So that option
was not really an option.

Thanks again for leading me towards an explanation.

- Jarle