Re: Push AF9005 driver to main repo?

Hi Luca,

Em Qui, 2007-05-03 às 15:37 +0200, Luca Olivetti escreveu:
> En/na Mauro Carvalho Chehab ha escrit:
> > Em Qui, 2007-05-03 às 13:55 +0200, Markus Rechberger escreveu:
> >> Is there anything against it?
> >>
> >> Markus

> > For me, it is ok, providing that Luca or Manu send us a pull request.
>
> Is this a special mail or something, or can this message considered as a
> pull request? ;-)

This would be enough, providing that the patch is Ok.
> > Most CodingStyle issues can easily by running a really small script,
> > available at scripts/Lindent at the kernel tree. The script content is:
> >
> > 	#!/bin/sh
> > 	indent -npro -kr -i8 -ts8 -sob -l80 -ss -ncs "$@"
>
> I ran Lindent before submitting the patch to Manu !?!?

I don't think so. I saw some hexadecimal values on uppercase. Also some
idents were wrong. Could you review it please, and then, send me the
newest version c/c ML?

Please, also mark the driver as EXPERIMENTAL, since this will be the
first release. Hopefully, we can remove the tags at the next kernel.

> > (of course, you need to have the indent package installed at the local
> > machine)
> >
> > It is interesting also to mark newer drivers as EXPERIMENTAL for one or
> > two kernel releases.
> >
> > If AF9005 is intended to be added on kernel 2.6.22, this should be done
> > ASAP, since the merge window is closing. Otherwise, if the driver is not
> > stable enough, the better is to wait to the end of the window, then add
> > it to the tree. I prefer the last option.
>
> Well, I've been using my driver since december and I didn't suffer any
> crash or problems. I had reports of funky usage number in lsmod, but I
> think that's because of my use of symbol_request/symbol_put (though it
> doesn't happen on my machine): I separated the remote decoding functions
> in a standalone module, so I can substitute the implementation (in fact
> I have a different one on my page that interfaces with lirc).
> Other users have been using it with no problems (or at least with no
> more problems than under windows, as P. van Gaans can testify ;-)
> Anyway, do as you like, but if it's more visible someone more capable
> than me can correct more bugs ;-)

Even not being on Mainstream, it will be added at the project's main
tree and at -mm series. This will help more people to see your driver,
fixing issues and commenting it.

--
Cheers,
Mauro