Re: Belkin USBView II

>>The process of capabilities discovery includes turning on isoc and the saa711x, and this results in a bunch of non-valid data packets

David,  you have load SAA7115 instead of the older SAA711X module right?

>>I suspect the problem has shifted to where the chip is being asked to send more then the endpoint's actual packet size, or something in that area. Red herring?

The packet size is this...  #define USBVISION_MAX_ISOC_PACKET_SIZE 959 // NT1003 Specs Document says 1023 .

It's true, the NT100x spec docs say 1023 is the max, but the snoopy logfiles did say only 959 with any device which we had a snoppy log file from.   Try changing this to the 895 and see.

I don't think it's going to help.   But we should try it and see.

>>As you did core_debug=36 (1<<2 (DBG_ISOC) + 1<<5 (DBG_FUNC)) you should see it. If not, this is a bug :)
>>Do you have some windows usbsnoop dumps ? If so, we could analyze them to see which alternate is selected and which packet size is selected.

The other devices have the similar packet size.  Here is the URL.   Looking through memory lane right now.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3523937

Here is an example of some digging into the usb code.

        Updated to kernel 2.6.14. Still get the -90 error. This is with usbvision 0.9.3 dated November.

         Looking in the code for urb.c it looks like all the ways of getting that error have to do with the size of the transfer_buffer. The size being passed is 30688 bytes (32*959). I notice the max size is 0x7FF if (dev->speed ==         USB_SPEED_HIGH). This hardware only has USB1.1 so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

        The max limit on ISOC packet size being enforced by urb.c appears to come from hub.c doing some query against the hub. In my case the "hub" is the one on the VIA motherboard. It was working fine last year with a 2.4         kernel.

        So as an experiment I just commented out the check in the usb_submit_urb routine in urb.c. It worked! No more -90 errors and I can grab frames with videodog. But I have no idea about the long term viability of this             quick fix. I don't have a set of 2.4 sources to compare with.

The device did work in kernel 2.4.x and seemed to break in 2.6.x.

Dwaine