Re: Re: Technotrend DVB-C C-1200 TT-Connect

On 21/04/07, Mario Rossi <mariofutire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to buy the same card to receive DVB-C from Virgin Media in the UK.
It seems that this is the only DVB-C USB card supported by Linux (and
one of the very few existing).
I've sent recently a couple of mails to the mailing list trying to get
some info about it, but they went both unanswered.
I've found the card on eBay for 80 EUR, but I would like to know
whether (and how) it works before proceeding.

Hi Mario,

As I said, it does work, but I don't think that its working correctly.
I have tried under Gentoo and under Ubuntu Fiesty with 2.6.20 kernel,
and under both, things start to eventually jitter slightly and every
few seconds frames are dropped. This doesn't seem to happen under
windows for some reason. The only difference that I can physically see
is the LED colour on the front. I am not sure if USB 1.1 is capable of
handling the mpeg2 stream. I suspect that windows is applying some
compression that allows the stream to be able to be played without any
speed issue. Short of looking at the module source and try to contact
the original author, I am not sure where to find any further info.

The reason that I have one of these is because PCI is becoming quite
rare these days. Most of the latest motherboards don't even have any
standard PCI slots anymore. They only have PCIe, and it seems that
there are no supported PCIe cards on the market yet. My advice at the
moment would be go with the PCI TT C-1500. I have a C-2300 and it
works flawlessly.

Btw, which cable provider do you have?

Not sure I want to say anything about this. Some providers do not
allow "other devices" to be plugged in, but these cards should work
with any provider that uses the dvb-c standard ;)