Re: Fwd: Mantis driver: making cu1216.ko work for me

Hi Manu and Thomas,

I did some testing with encrypted channels,
because I haven't played with them before.
I did figure out some information that might help further.

I used my card and stored an encrypted channel a while.
I don't have an external CAM on the card.

Storing went fine. It seems to me, that Kaffeine stored
the whole TS stream as I requested. This should mean
that both audio and video streams are on the TS.
File sizes suggest that also.

With a channel that had both encrypted sound and video,
I used ffmpeg to dump out stream information:

#ffmpeg -i MAX.doc_\ Vuosituhannen\ historia.m2t -dump MAX.output.ts >& MAX.world.log

Input #0, mpegts, from 'MAX.doc_ Vuosituhannen historia.m2t':
 Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
 Stream #0.0[0x130]: Video: mpeg2video, 90000.00 fps(r)
 Stream #0.1[0x230](fin): Audio: mp3
 Stream #0.2[0x430](fin): Subtitle: dvbsub
picture size invalid (0x0)
-- END OF MAX.world.log --

So ffmpeg didn't get out any sound or video stream packets.

I used ffmpeg to dump out stream information on an encrypted video stream with unencrypted sound:

Input #0, mpegts, from '../Canal+ Film 3-20070412-171818.m2t':
 Duration: 00:00:46.9, start: 30818.352633, bitrate: 2916 kb/s
 Stream #0.0[0x206]: Video: mpeg2video, 90000.00 fps(r)
 Stream #0.1[0x298](swe): Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 256 kb/s
picture size invalid (0x0)
-- END OF log Canal+ log file --

So ffmpeg seems not to be able to parse input streams that has at least one encrypted stream.

However I could listen the Canal+ sound without the picture with mplayer (and originally with Kaffeine).

Here is the nonworking case from above (both video and audio encrypted) with mplayer:

Playing MAX.doc_ Vuosituhannen historia.m2t.
TS file format detected.
TS_PARSE: COULDN'T SYNC
NO VIDEO! NO AUDIO!  NO SUBS (yet)!
No stream found.

Here is the working sound with nonavailable video with mplayer:

Playing Canal+ Film 3-20070412-171818.m2t.
TS file format detected.
NO VIDEO! AUDIO MPA(pid=664) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. 1000
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 256.0 kbit/16.67% (ratio: 32000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...

So I conclude that because video works but sound does not work under Windows, with Thomas, CAM does decrypt the video stream correctly, but does not decrypt audio packets correctly or not at all and thus only the video stream is decrypted and shown.

The hardware parts that are related to the decryption, are CAM module and the paper card. Maybe the paper card is only partly functional? If that has one or more nonfunctional secret key, only audio might become or stay garbage. Thomas could take the paper card away and put it back. Sound might work then. Thomas could take the paper card into
a shop where the service provider could verify that it works properly there.

I think that the CAM is properly attached, because video decryption works.

Do you Manu agree? I assume here that the CAM decryption is done while receiving and not while displaying and CAM doesn't need much assistance in the process.

Regards,
Marko Ristola

Manu Abraham wrote:
Manu Abraham wrote:
Marko,

Marko Ristola wrote:
Hi Thomas,

It seems that the picture is okay, and your sound doesn't work and it is
silent.

I'd suggest to try to make sound work under Windows first, if it is
Windows XP.

My thought is that if the card does not work under Windows, can it work
under Linux?
The cu1216 driver was mostly written by Snowtree from Satsion (you would
have noticed the additional copyright from Twinhan (GPL)), which was
adapted by me for use with the mantis Linux driver. The issue what the
Linux driver sees is exactly the same as well what the windows driver
also sees.

At least we can conclude that the hardware works, if the device works
fully under Windows.
Nope. Windows driver ~= linux driver

I mean approximately equivalent to

Manu