Nova-T 500 windows driver update fixes reception problems

Hi all,

I've been using the Nova-T 500 PCI card and I'm using the Ubuntu 2.6.20 kernel. I and others in Melbourne, Australia have been having reception problems on a couple of channels. The problem is not related to signal strength/quality, but region specific. The Windows Media Center community in Australia were also having the same reception problems (see very long thread <http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/tuners-mce/12244-hauppage-nova-t-500-driver-bug-20.html#post120121>). This community worked with the Australian distributer (New Magic), who worked closely with Hauppauge to debug/fix the problem. After a couple of months they got a fix.

Apparently the problem was with the dib0700 chipset. So this might affect more than just this card. Here's the quote:

   "For those interested the issue actually had nothing to do with
   Hauppauge, but rather was a chipset issue which we have identified
   in other tuner and set-top products. Because the issue is unique to
   only small parts of Australia, many users and manufacturers write
   the symptoms off as a reception problem."

The update hasn't been released publicly yet, but is available upon request from New Magic (see note on this page <http://www.newmagic.com.au/support/Hauppauge_Vista_Drivers.html>). Any one interested can also email me off list, and I'd be happy to send it through. The Windows instructions for installing the fix are:

   * Install the latest drivers from here:
http://www.newmagic.com.au/support/Hauppauge_Vista_Drivers.html * Copy the updated file "hcw99bda.sys" into the
     C:\windows\system32\drivers into the driver directory.
   * Restart the system.

Hopefully this is just a firmware fix, or something easy to reverse engineer. ;)

Anyone know if "hcw99bda.sys" contains firmware?  And how to extract it?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Regards,
Matt Doran