>On 3/18/07, Darron Broad <darron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <1a297b360703180432v94b513bj441248b8a59a62c2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Manu Abraham" wrote:
>>
>> lo

>sty
>> >le=

>> >Sorry, nope. Since the IOCTL is RW not R
>>
>> >#define DVBFE_GET_INFO _IOWR('o', 85, struct dvbfe_info)
>>
>> please explain why you have chosen a function named GET
>> to SET internal state.
>>

>on a multistandard demod/tuner, what info do you want to get ? Rather
>than setting delivery system again which is redundant, it is used with
>the same IOCTL
>
>It doesn't matter whether one uses set_params (does a blind setup of
>the frontend) or search (uses a frontend dependant algorithm to do
>scan's /szap or say blindscan's)
>
>just that the delivery system type is cached in one IOCTL call, which
>anyway needs to be set to get the relevant delivery system type.

i can see what is happening but it doesn't make sense for a
developer.

GET ought to return current state as is, there is no point
making assumptions about what the application may or may
be doing next, because that's a total unknown. However, what
we do know is that application programmers won't be expecting
to change anything in a GET but will be in a SET.

whether what the GET returns being useful or not is not
interesting to me.

>> BTW, the unmodded szap only worked for you because it
>> queried the current state inadvertantly setting internal
>> state before calling set_params without actually specifying
>> the correct internal state.
>
>> if an application does a query and sets state to DVB-S2
>> then decides to tune to DVB-S the internal state will
>> be incorrect.
>
>Don't think so

If you refer to the code Steve wrote you will see that he has
made the obvious assumptions about get_info and set_params

In my case i need to set a delivery type to query the relevant
delivery type parameter
I don't think it is sane to use the same thing twice. It sounds quite
illogical to me.

For example i would tell the demod, that i need the info for the
DELIVERY_SYSTEM_X in one shot, rather doing the same twice (doesn't
make any sense to tell the demod twice)

(just like some people don't like to be told twice the same thing .. ;-) )

in the former it returns internal state, in the latter sets
intermal state. this is a widely understood interface concept.

With one delivery system

Manu