Re: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4

On Saturday 17 February 2007 05:27, Michael Krufky wrote:
> Julian wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Sorry for creating a new thread - ive just joined the list and been
> > following the archives for a while.
> > I purchased this card today, d/l'd the master repository and applied
> > the patch, card seems to be recognized properly. Using version 3 of the
> > firmware. Yep it cant seem to tune. (au-Melbourne)
> > Thanks alot Mike for working on this card...I guess we need someone
> > with windows?
> > Jules (sunru)
>
> Julian,
>
> So far, all users that have trouble with this device are located in
> au-Melbourne.  Users located anywhere else in the world are having no
> troubles at all.  I don't know what is causing the trouble, but I am
> under the impression that it is caused by problems in the zl10353 driver.
>
> It would be nice to hear if there are _any_ linux users with a
> zl10353-based device working in au-Melbourne.
>
> There isn't much I can do from here... If there are any developers
> located in the area, please feel free to try to debug the problem.
>
> Sorry,

There are three possibilities that spring to mind.

One, DViCO produced a small batch of defective hardware that just happened
to land in Melbourne.  (Does it work under Windows?)

Two, there is something very odd about Melbourne transmissions.  The
Australian government has a long history of "improving" international
television standards.  For example, most countries did not have channels 0,
5A and 13.  Channel numbers below 7 have been discouraged for a many years
now, but they recently moved one of the standard channels slightly to make
room for and extra one - 9A, I think.  But if the government was the cause
of the problem then it should be Nation wide rather than Melbourne only.

Three, the initial configuration file is sufficiently wrong that the DViCO
can't cope with it.  I have recently seen my Kworld card work well, while
my MSI card refused channel 7 until some of the settings were adjusted.

Unfortunately I don't know where to find authoritative information about
what is "standard" here, or what is actually used.

--
sig goes here...
Peter D.