Re: more than 6 dvb cards possible?

On 2/14/07, Ali H.M. Hoseini <alihmh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 13:09:33 Ali H.M. Hoseini wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've searched this mailing list, and internet, and found that is
>> possible to have 6 dvb cards simultaneously with newer linux kerenls.
>> But is it possible to have more than 6 dvb cards? for example 8 dvb
>> cards?
>>

> Eight adapters should work out of the box. More adapters may work if you
> increase the DVB_MAX_ADAPTERS define in
> drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvbdev.c.
>
> Applications may have their own limit. MythTV for example has also a
> limit of 8 DVB adapters per backend.
>

>> I've an industrial pc from icp electronics that lets me to install up
>> to 13 pci cards. ( It has active backplane).
>>

> Please note that more than ten typical DVB-S or DVB-C multiplexes
> (~50mbit/s) may saturate a single 32bit/33mhz PCI bus. I hope that they
> use more than one PCI bus for 13 slots.

I heard that cards such as skystar 2 have hardware pid filters. Does it
mean that this prevent pci bus saturation, by aligning that filters to a
one or two pids?

In fact PCI bus saturation doesn't matter much here.. Even before you
reach there, you will have issues on Interrupt handling etc. So you
reach the bottleneck much earlier than when you can saturate the PCI
bus

Manu