Re: [RFC] Should a DVB frontend report the board name?

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 09:15, Manu Abraham wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Hartmut Hackmann <hartmut.hackmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Manu Abraham schrieb:

> > > The issue is that the board name shouldn't be the name of the
> > > frontend. I did have the issue taht which you mentioned, but that i
> > > did have a fix to it by using the adapter device that i mentioned
> > > sometime back in another thread on a mantis bridge.
> > >
> > > With this it gives the bridge name, Generic name and the frontend
> > > name, all in it's own relevant place and not in the frontend. it will
> > > be just messing up the frontend to a state where it will be hopeless.
> > >
> > > for example:
> > > bridge name = "Mantis PCI rev 1.0"
> > > Generic name = "VP-1034"
> > > frontend name = "MB86A16 DVB-S/DSS DC receiver"
> > >
> > > It additionally fixes some other issues as well, such as handling
> > > bridge reset 's etc.
> > >
> > > Will post the changes after i have cleaned it up, most probably will
> > > push it along with the multiproto/stb0899 tree.
> > >
> > > Manu
> >
> > Hm, we technical guys tend to associate "frontend" with the channel
> > decoder / tuner combination but the average user can can easily assume
> > that the frontend is the entire card. He has no idea what the functions
> > of the chips are.
>
> frontend = demod name (that's what we have currently), Tuner is
> unimportant in this case as it doesn't have much of ops.
>
> for the average person, frontend = RF module, inclusive of the demod
>
> the problem comes when you have 2 different frontends on one bridge.
> The user get's even more confused. Tune to board frontend 0 /1 ? which
> is frontend 0 which is frontend 1 ?
>
> There needs to be clear distinction when multiple devices exists.
>
> So in your case you are always tuning to your board name, irrespective
> of the number of frontends. IMHO, in the case where you had one
> frontend (with demod as name) is not as  confusing compared to this
> scenario.
>
> Assuming that a board has multiple demods.

I feel qualified to comment for the ignorant user.  ;-)

My guess is that they would expect something like; "MSI TV@nywhere A/D,
using analogue tuner" or "MSI TV@nywhere A/D, using digital tuner".  I
would also guess that the the people reading this list would expect much
more detailed information, such as, SAA7134 etc.

> > But ack, we should be as precise as possible.
> > So the next question is: If we have the entries you propose, how do
> > these get reported to user space? Currently, the API only reports the
> > frontend type.
>
> In multiproto, there is DVBFE_GET_INFO, working with that as a base.
> It is extendable to the adapter object.
>
> Currrently playing around with a bit with some devices on the same in
> that aspect
>

> manu

sig goes here...
Peter D.