Re: [RFC] Should a DVB frontend report the board name?

Manu Abraham schrieb:

>> > not that this is very important but I've seen that some people were
>> > confused because of displaying the name of the demodulator, they
>> > stated out that they own product xy and not a ZL10353, MT352, etc.
>>
>> Indeed, i think that for a user
>> "TerraTec/qanu USB2.0 Highspeed DVB-T Receiver"
>> makes more sense than
>> "ST STV0299 DVB-S"
>> but in the latter case, the board name
>> "Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)"
>> is also somewhat "mysterious" when the user would expect
>> "WinTV Nova CI"
>> ;)
>

> The issue is that the board name shouldn't be the name of the frontend.
> I did have the issue taht which you mentioned, but that i did have a
> fix to it by using the adapter device that i mentioned sometime back
> in another thread on a mantis bridge.
>
> With this it gives the bridge name, Generic name and the frontend
> name, all in it's own relevant place and not in the frontend. it will
> be just messing up the frontend to a state where it will be hopeless.
>
> for example:
> bridge name = "Mantis PCI rev 1.0"
> Generic name = "VP-1034"
> frontend name = "MB86A16 DVB-S/DSS DC receiver"
>
> It additionally fixes some other issues as well, such as handling
> bridge reset 's etc.
>
> Will post the changes after i have cleaned it up, most probably will
> push it along with the multiproto/stb0899 tree.
>
> Manu

Hm, we technical guys tend to associate "frontend" with the channel
decoder / tuner combination but the average user can can easily assume
that the frontend is the entire card. He has no idea what the functions
of the chips are.
But ack, we should be as precise as possible.
So the next question is: If we have the entries you propose, how do these
get reported to user space? Currently, the API only reports the frontend
type.

Hartmut