Re: Another Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T Oops

Patrick Boettcher wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Chris Johns wrote:

Patrick Boettcher wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what needs to and what can be done.

I would like to stop the kernel oops. Having the kernel crash is a pain.

My question was related to USB debugging - I'm not sure what can be done
on the USB side to see some more information (why is there a disconnect).

Maybe something can be done with the ehci-module.

Feb  6 17:23:20 localhost kernel: urb completition error -32.
Feb  6 17:23:20 localhost kernel: urb completition error -71.
Feb  6 17:23:20 localhost last message repeated 347 times
Feb  6 17:23:20 localhost kernel: usb 8-1: USB disconnect, address 2
Feb  6 17:23:20 localhost kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:02:02.2: qh f6902180 (#82)

I asked a few questions on the linux-usb-dev list.  They said the best way to track down this problem is to run usbmon and log the USB traffic on the device until the problem occurs.  The quote:

I suppose you can run usbmon constantly and have it dumping the traffic
in a file, if your disk is big enough. Then if the device disconnects,
we'll see the preceeding traffic and may be able to make deductions.
Please look if your system has this file:
/usr/share/doc/kernel-*/Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt

This is not guaranteed to work, because sometimes devices just disconnect
for no good reason, e.g. if they have bad power or a cables are not shielded
well. But I don't have better ideas.

Another of the developers said they they just tracked down a kernel bug in USB core that didn't make it into 2.6.20.  The details and the patch are here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=38138485

I plan to compile this up and see if it improves things.  But haven't had a chance yet.

Cheers,
Matt