Re: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4

Christopher McAvaney wrote:
> G'day Michael,
>
> I have a Dual Digital 4 card too.
> Just reading your post to linux-dvd email list on the 12th of December.
> Thanks for the detailed explanation as to what I have let myself in for :)
>
> Just wondering if you have been able to get any further with the v4l
> driver and tuner issues you mention in the post?

Christopher, Please read my response to Cary, below:

Cary Dreelan wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I see frm he linux-dvb mailing lists that you're working on the kernel
> updates to support this DViCO Dual Digital 4 card.

Please keep all correspondence on-list. (cc-added) I generally ignore private
emails unless they are personal in nature.

> I've applied your
> patch to my 2.6.19-r4 gentoo source kernel and got the card to be at
> least recognised as well as supposedly have it's bluebird firmware
> loaded up to the USB devices.

You do not want to download dvb-usb-bluebird-01.fw to the FusionHDTV Dual
Digital 4 .  Although the usb control API is identical, the internal mechanism
is completely different.  The dvb-usb-bluebird-01.fw firmware image doesn't know
how to operate the Dual Digital4 internals...  Can you please test your device
in windows and confirm that it still works after downloading that firmware to
the unit?

As an aside, the Dual Digital4 stores the firmware in an eeprom on-board.
Firmware download for this model is not required, although it should still be
possible.  If your unit doesnt work in windows anymore due to the firmware
change, then I can probably release a new firmware image for you in a few days.

> Without doubling up on your work, I wondered if you've gotten any
> further before I start hacking?

I have a driver that should work (in theory) ... I dont want to release it yet,
until I can test it on somebody's machine.  There is slight risk of eeprom
corruption due to i2c probes, so I am feeling very cautious about trying this
out in the real world.  If you're willing to possibly end up with a paperweight
as a result of testing a driver, then let me know.

> I've had the Fusion DVB-T Lite Plus running in this Mini ITX MSI case
> I've had and ordered the dual digital as I needed two tuners and only
> one PCI slot in this thing. I ended up receiving the dual digital 4 and
> it's obviously a very different beast to my previous DViCO. So I wanted
> to roll my sleeves up and get it going, but noticed that you have
> already started, hence the email.

Go for it.  I wonder what you'll come up with. Just don't do any random i2c
probes!  I will make an announcement once my driver is ready and tested, but I
cant say how soon that will be.

> BTW, I'm in Adelaide if it makes any difference.

I don't know if it makes a difference.  I live in Brooklyn.  :-)

Cheers,

Michael Krufky