Re: HVR3000 Analogue tuner problems

sibaz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I'm running kubuntu with a 2.6.17 kernel and I've installed the latest v4l as per http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17223, and while I can get S-Video working, scantv and tvtime-scanner don't seem to do anything to the tuner. I've tried rmmod and insmod ing the tuner module a few times, but it doesn't help. My tuner just won't pick up any of the analogue signals present.

The key for me when rmmoding and modprobing is getting the following line to appear in dmesg :

	tda9887 2-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found @ 0x43 (tuner)

Until I've got that, the tuner doesn't work properly. I also have the following in my modules.conf:

	options cx88xx i2c_scan=1

I'm not sure if it makes any difference of not. But it might be worth a try.

I've tested using a TV signal generator and it can't find that either. I can't test DVB-T as that won't reach me here until the London switch over day. If I whether I unload the tuner module or not, when I run scantv it appears to run fine (but clearly doesn't as it doesn't pick up any signals). How can I tell that it is talking to the device correctly. I've seen http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-December/014732.html which talks about a similar problem, although I haven't had Roberts success when unloading and reloading the tuner module. As an aside (and possibly unrelated) the machine in question dual booted fine, then I started messing with the linux kernel and now WinXP won't boot. I can start it in safe mode, but if I try normally it just spends for ever doing the night rider thing without ever booting.

   Any thoughts?

Other than that, you could try posting the output of lsmod and of dmesg. Someone might just spot something that is wrong / or missing.

I have the HVR3000 semi-working, in that Analog is generally ok (apart from the tuner problem and a problem with an occasional crackle on the audio which I've not tracked down yet). DVB-S kind of works as well, but sometimes it seems to have a problem getting a lock onto a channel and the quality isn't as good as from the same signal through my set-top box. I seem to get regular artifacts and audio glitches whereas I never get any via the STB.

I was trying to see if this was the same in Windows last night, but the that stupid WinTV2000 software wouldn't find any channels at all (it took me long enough just to get the channel manager window to work at all! :-@)

Robert.