HVR3000 Analogue tuner problems

Hi,
I'm running kubuntu with a 2.6.17 kernel and I've installed the latest v4l as per http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17223, and while I can get S-Video working, scantv and tvtime-scanner don't seem to do anything to the tuner. I've tried rmmod and insmod ing the tuner module a few times, but it doesn't help. My tuner just won't pick up any of the analogue signals present. I've tested using a TV signal generator and it can't find that either. I can't test DVB-T as that won't reach me here until the London switch over day. If I whether I unload the tuner module or not, when I run scantv it appears to run fine (but clearly doesn't as it doesn't pick up any signals). How can I tell that it is talking to the device correctly. I've seen http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-December/014732.html which talks about a similar problem, although I haven't had Roberts success when unloading and reloading the tuner module. As an aside (and possibly unrelated) the machine in question dual booted fine, then I started messing with the linux kernel and now WinXP won't boot. I can start it in safe mode, but if I try normally it just spends for ever doing the night rider thing without ever booting.

   Any thoughts?

    Sibaz