Re: Re: cinergyT2: multiple devices not supported?

On 12/27/06, Peter Daum <gator_ml@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sven Lankes wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 12:47:22PM +0100, Peter Daum wrote:
>
>> It seems to be impossible to use more than one CinergyT2 USB box on
>> the same Linux system - is this a known problem (or am I just the 1st
>> one who tried it)?
>
> None of the above.
>
> I am currently using two Cinergy T2 devices. Works for me.

[...]
> I guess you should try something newer than 2.6.16.

I did some more testing with different kernels and other
constellations and could produce some more variations, in which way
exactly it didn't work ;-) Eventually it turned out that somehow the
cinergyT2 behaves differently depending on which port exactly it is
connected to. I have 8 USB-2.0 ports using 4 different IRQs, some of
them shared with other drivers/devices - maybe that's the real issue.
(even though there never was any log message indicating a problem).
Obviously, if there ever has been a problem, the driver will stay in
an inconsistent state and only recover when it is reloaded.

Anyway - right now it seems to work even with both devices running
concurrently :-)

BTW, has anybody of you fellow cinergyT2 users ever experienced
crashes killing the keyboard?
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.dvb/30386)

the DVB framework isn't hotpluggable, you can experience all kind of
problems if you unplug the device while it's in used.

I used to have that problem pretty regularly. Right now, I turned off
the /dev/input support, which seems to help, but I am not sure whether
this really is the problem, and could imagine occasions, where the
remote control might be a nice thing to have ...

it does not happen if the hardware works continuously without any problem.
If an unexpected powerdown occures on your usbhub it's possible to
kill the dvb framework and partly crash the kernel.

cheers,
Markus