Re: [discussion] Frontend capable of reporting and supporting supported diseqc version

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Manu Abraham wrote:
>
>> Michel Verbraak wrote:
>>

>>> I did a search through the different mailing list archives but could not
>>> find an answer to the following question:
>>>
>>> Why is the frontend/card driver (dvb-s) not capable of telling which
>>> version of diseqc it can support?
>>>

>> In most cases, the demod handles the diseqc functionality. But there are
>> cases where diseqc functionality depends on  hardware also (in the case
>> of diseqc 2x) the receiver could have been not wired at all.
>>

>>> In the dvb_frontend_info struct or the enum fe_caps nothing is specified
>>> about the diseqc version supported. Or should I look in some other file?
>>>
>>> What I currently see is that the different application,
>>> vdr/kaffeine/mythtv, all can send diseqc commands but the user has to
>>> specify the hardware connected to the card. But would it not be handy if
>>> the driver at least could tell which version is supported by the card so
>>> the application can suggest to the end user which options are available?
>>>

>> Only with diseqc 2x you can query back, functionality of the slaves.
>> for Diseqc 2x handling, IIRC, FE_DISEQC_SLAVE_REPLY ioctl can be used.
>>
>> But only a diseqc 2x device will allow you to see what is behind the
>> same.
>>

> I think the request here is not to get feedback from the switch, but to
> be able to query the card driver what it supports. Does the card HW
> support Diseqc 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.x?? In the current situation the
> application basically has to have a table of card/driver with supported
> diseqc level. This proposal, as i read it, is to add a call to the
> drivers to report the diseqc level they support, so the applications can
> make use of higher level of diseqc if supported.

FE_DISEQC_SLAVE_REPLY can tell you whether it supports 1x or 2x
Diseqc 1.0 is 22k tone burst with controlling 4 committed switches
Diseqc 1.1 is Diseqc 1.0 + transmission of upto 2 repeats
Diseqc 1.2 is Diseqc 1.1 + positioner commands
Diseqc 2.0 is control 4 committed switches, readback and one repeat

AFAIK, all devices that do support 1.1 also support 1.2 as well. Or are
there any devices that are different ?

You can get the specs from here ..
http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/4_5_5.html

> As  i currently have a non-funcitonal diseqc setup, i am quit willing to
> help with testing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rudy
>
> P.S. the disfunctionality is in the linux drivers, as a DVB-S STB
> connected to the switch functions without problems.

Manu