Re: [discussion] Frontend capable of reporting and supporting supported diseqc version

Manu Abraham wrote:

Michel Verbraak wrote:
I did a search through the different mailing list archives but could not
find an answer to the following question:

Why is the frontend/card driver (dvb-s) not capable of telling which
version of diseqc it can support?

In most cases, the demod handles the diseqc functionality. But there are
cases where diseqc functionality depends on  hardware also (in the case
of diseqc 2x) the receiver could have been not wired at all.

In the dvb_frontend_info struct or the enum fe_caps nothing is specified
about the diseqc version supported. Or should I look in some other file?

What I currently see is that the different application,
vdr/kaffeine/mythtv, all can send diseqc commands but the user has to
specify the hardware connected to the card. But would it not be handy if
the driver at least could tell which version is supported by the card so
the application can suggest to the end user which options are available?

Only with diseqc 2x you can query back, functionality of the slaves.
for Diseqc 2x handling, IIRC, FE_DISEQC_SLAVE_REPLY ioctl can be used.

But only a diseqc 2x device will allow you to see what is behind the same.

I think the request here is not to get feedback from the switch, but to be able to query the card driver what it supports. Does the card HW support Diseqc 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.x?? In the current situation the application basically has to have a table of card/driver with supported diseqc level. This proposal, as i read it, is to add a call to the drivers to report the diseqc level they support, so the applications can make use of higher level of diseqc if supported.

As i currently have a non-funcitonal diseqc setup, i am quit willing to help with testing.

Cheers,

Rudy

P.S. the disfunctionality is in the linux drivers, as a DVB-S STB connected to the switch functions without problems.