Re: CableStar 2: STV02970(_cs2) & B2C2-Flexcop-IIB , don't have driver at all

Hi All,

2006/11/13, Hun chow <dvb-cipro@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hello.

I have a lot of trouble to install my new DVB card under Linux: CableStar 2:

This issue of CS2 support having been removed sometime in last
February keeps popping up every now and then - I guess the developers
had a reason to do that, however there seem to be a lot of people
missing the support.

Since this has been asked from me several times via private e-mail
(because of my earlier posts here), and now here, I'll tell here what
I need to do to compile the driver:

1) Pull the newest CVS (from January 31st 2006) :

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/video4linux login
(use an empty password)

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/video4linux co -P v4l-dvb

2) Link the drivers to a kernel tree (assuming you have them symlinked
in /usr/src/linux) :

cd v4l-dvb ; v4l/scripts/makelinks.sh /usr/src/linux

3) Configure your kernel (I use 'make xconfig', and choose to compile
them in-kernel)

4) Compile, install and boot Kernel ('make && make modules_install &&
make install')

Some notes:

- If you use makelinks.sh and a new kernel, you can ignore the error
caused by the patch at the end of the script (I believe it is included
in newer kernels)

- A certain user who emailed me in private couldn't use his CS2 in a
64bit setup (misdetected frontend), but it did work on a 32 bit setup.
So the CVS version is probably vroken for 64bit users.

- I believe you could compile the modules also outside your kernel
tree (i.e. without using makelinks.sh, and without installing a new
Kernel)

- I think 'make clean' in kernel tree removes links made by
makelinks.sh (I'm not sure though) - but if the modules don't work try
to run makelinks.sh and compile your Kernel again.

I'm using Kernel version 2.6.18 currently. And CS2 works ;)

Previously I used an even older snapshot (pulled directly from the CVS
server via -D - there is no .tar.gz that works with CS2 anywhere for
DL AFAIK). But that version didn't compile with newer kernels (>2.6.17
or thereabouts). The first working snapshot was from December 2005 (In
my previous posts I misremembered the date). I also noticed after my
compiles withn ewer kernels (>=2.6.17 or thereabouts)

Hope this helps. If someone has spare time, put this to the DVB Wiki -
or, even better, if that someone knows how to code, fix the support of
CS2. I believe he would be heralded as the savior of all CableStar 2
users ;)

Cheers, Ville

--
Ville Aakko - ville.aakko@xxxxxxxxx