Re: USB2 DVB-S support

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, andrea venturi wrote:

> Graham Leggett wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been searching for a USB2 DVB-S receiver that is capable of receiving
> > a full transport stream, with working Linux drivers.
> >
> > The last time I looked, the only USB capable receivers out there were v1.1,
> > and incapable of receiving a full TS as a result.
> >
> > Are there any devices out there that are known to work?
> >

> actually there is at least this pinnaclesys pctv400e:
>
> http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Digital+PVR+%28DVB-S_DVB-T%29/PCTV+400e.htm
>
> i see now that is called a "legacy product" because it's superseeded by
> another device DVB-S2 compliant (and on linux DVB-S2 is still a WIP)
>
> i own the pctv400e
>
> it is composed by a bunch of well known chips, so Patrick Boettcher made the
> first tentative of a driver:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg20124.html
>
> and i tried to run it just one time with an oops..
> i never had the time to work on it, because i've quite a busy schedule, these
> days, anyway i'd like to make a second trial on a fresh 2.6.18 kernel and
> without the nvidia binary module that is tainting my PC!
>
> i hope to post you about this, in the next days..

I'm using the device since 4 weeks (or longer) it works perfectly. The
Oops you describe is related to sensitivity of the tuner/demod regarding
its input parameter. When you pass wrong data it gets a division by zero
or something. I was not able to find the line...

Patrick.

--
  Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx