Re: Recommended HDTV tuner

On Friday 10 November 2006 10:41, Bonne Eggleston wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a digital HDTV DVB-T tuner, and wanted any
> recommendations that you might have.
> Here are my preferences:
> 1. PCI (small form factor preferable)
> 2. Dual tuner if possible
> 3. Hybrid digital/analogue if dual not available
> 4. Remote control (can be separate)
>
> I live in Sydney, Australia and I'm planning to use it with Gentoo Linux
> and MythTV if that makes any difference.
>
> I briefly looked at the DViCO Fusion HDTV Dual Digital 2, but was told
> there were problems getting some stations to work, and the remote also.
>
> What do you recommend?

Hi Bonne,

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I live in Melbourne and I have two
DVB-T cards that i can comment on;

KWorld/VStream XPert DVB-T
full height PCI
single tuner only
remote control (have not bothered to get it to work, but it can definitely
enter numbers into the console like a keyboard)
There appear to be at least three variants of this card, I think that they
all work.

MSI TV@nywhere A/D
half height PCI (short bracket included in box)
digital tuner plus analogue tuner (hence the name) plus FM tuner
remote control (have not bothered to get it working)
There are several different cards with very similar names.
You will probably need to fiddle with it to get it to work properly.
add "saa7134 card=94" to /etc/modprobe.preload and the default configuration
for channel seven seems to be wrong.  Some cards are smart enough to sort
it out, this one isn't.  When I work out where the master database is I
will try to correct it.

--
sig goes here...
Peter D.