Re: hdtv scanning

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> The whole HDTV thing is of no interest to me until there is
> a DVB card that can actually replay HDTV in hardware.

I do not think we will ever reach that point.

In a modular design, I believe the DVB card is only responsible
for receiving the signal, maybe converting it, so it can be
postprocessed easier, but not for playing it back.
I believe the industry has understood that and has not
released any new "full-featured" DVB cards for a while.
I would be surprised if that would change.

So we either need a strong CPU that converts the data
or an intelligent graphics card that can display them
as they are. I would expect both to be available soon -
even passively-cooled and thus living-room-ready.

Having said that, I am not so excited about HDTV either,
but for different reasons. So my HDTV VDR upgrade can wait
until the industry has given up spending money on locking
their customers out (or in, if you know what I mean),
freeing that money for real innovations.
By that time, those HDTV-supporting passively-cooled CPUs
and graphics cards will be cheap and my VDR system will
need to be replaced due to old age.

Carsten.