Re: Re: hdtv scanning

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> KS> The whole HDTV thing is of no interest to me until there is a DVB
>> KS> card that can actually replay HDTV in hardware.
>>
>> Why would it have to be the DVB card doing it? That seems to be the
>> job of the graphics card and the CPU.
>
> Well, call me old-fashioned, but I believe that for normal
> live tv viewing a DVB card should be able to do the job
> entirely on its own. VDR just tells it which channel to tune
> to and that's it. It's this "take some old PC, put in a DVB card
> and have a digital video recorder" thing ;-).

Currently H.264 decoding in software is a large overhead in the short
term (for high bit rate HD streams), but wouldn't be the same in the
long run, considering the increase in the number of CPU cores. In the
long run there wouldn't be many cards doing hardware decoding.

Even if DVB HD FF card were there, would be a bit too expensive as well.

Manu