Re: Switching tuner to analogue mode on Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

Tomislav Bodor wrote:
> Oops. I sent an empty message by mistake. Here's the real thing (at the
> bottom).
>

> Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Tomislav Bodor wrote:

>>> Sure. Unfortunately, I don't know what's useful information and what's
>>> not, so I may overload you :)
>>>
>>> I'll tackle the latter first: analog works just fine after saa7134
>>> module is loaded (this for me happens automatically during boot). It
>>> continues working even after saa7134-dvb is loaded, all the way until I
>>> run any dvb application (e.g. scan or mythbackend with a DVB card
>>> configured). Once a dvb device is accessed the card is switched to
>>> digital mode (and I can watch digital TV just fine).
>>>
>>> Now for the first question: from that point onwards digital works fine,
>>> but accessing the card in analogue mode (say using tvtime or mythtv via
>>> the analogue tuner) produces the following errors in the kernel log:
>>>
>>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.007478] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.015462] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.023452] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.131306] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.139289] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.215214] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>>>

>> This is the information i was looking for. There is something going wrong
>> with the I2c bridge.
>>

>>> They come in batches of six at a time every time I start tvtime and then
>>> one at a time every time I change channels.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> And this reminds me: I never downloaded any firmware for tda10046 - it
>>> just worked this way, though various documentation says that I should
>>> use the get_dvb_firmware script from linux/Documentation/dvb. Why is it
>>> working without firmware (out of curiosity)?
>>>

>> Some cards have an eeprom with the Firmware. Yours too. In this case,
>> the channel decoder boots from this.
>>
>> This is a quick shot: can you please try to force the card type to69?
>> So:
>> modprobe saa7134 card=69
>> modprobe saa7134-dvb
>> (after you unloaded these modules)
>>
>> Hartmut
>>

> That did it - it now works as expected: after a delay of about 5
> seconds, the tuner switches back to analogue mode. I have had a look at
> the way the reference Philips Europa card is set up in saa7134-dvb.c and
> I see that DVB-T300 is missing one of the sleep functions - tuner has
> one, but the front end doesn't. Maybe there's more, but I don't know.
> Not sure what went wrong and when. I presume you know what needs to be
> done from this point onwards?

> [...]

Ah. I see something missing: the remote input device is not initialised
when I use card=69. With card=70 it's initialised correctly. This is a
problem - I need the remote. If I try tweaking the code for DVB-T300 in
saa7134-dvb to make it more similar to what's going on for Philips
Europa reference, will that take me anywhere? Or is it more complicated
than that?

Tomislav