Re: Switching tuner to analogue mode on Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

Oops. I sent an empty message by mistake. Here's the real thing (at the
bottom).

Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tomislav Bodor wrote:
>> Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> There have been 2 big changes since i added support for this card.
>>> I worried about the tda9887 merge in the tuner module, but the
>>> effect i worried about is a bit different from what you describe.
>>> - are there any error messages in the kernel log?
>>> - does analog tv work immedeately after module load?
>>> Any additional information will help.
>>

>> Sure. Unfortunately, I don't know what's useful information and what's
>> not, so I may overload you :)
>>
>> I'll tackle the latter first: analog works just fine after saa7134
>> module is loaded (this for me happens automatically during boot). It
>> continues working even after saa7134-dvb is loaded, all the way until I
>> run any dvb application (e.g. scan or mythbackend with a DVB card
>> configured). Once a dvb device is accessed the card is switched to
>> digital mode (and I can watch digital TV just fine).
>>
>> Now for the first question: from that point onwards digital works fine,
>> but accessing the card in analogue mode (say using tvtime or mythtv via
>> the analogue tuner) produces the following errors in the kernel log:
>>
>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.007478] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.015462] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.023452] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.131306] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.139289] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.215214] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
>> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
>>
> This is the information i was looking for. There is something going wrong
> with the I2c bridge.
>
>> They come in batches of six at a time every time I start tvtime and then
>> one at a time every time I change channels.
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> And this reminds me: I never downloaded any firmware for tda10046 - it
>> just worked this way, though various documentation says that I should
>> use the get_dvb_firmware script from linux/Documentation/dvb. Why is it
>> working without firmware (out of curiosity)?
>>
> Some cards have an eeprom with the Firmware. Yours too. In this case,
> the channel decoder boots from this.
>
> This is a quick shot: can you please try to force the card type to69?
> So:
> modprobe saa7134 card=69
> modprobe saa7134-dvb
> (after you unloaded these modules)
>
> Hartmut

That did it - it now works as expected: after a delay of about 5
seconds, the tuner switches back to analogue mode. I have had a look at
the way the reference Philips Europa card is set up in saa7134-dvb.c and
I see that DVB-T300 is missing one of the sleep functions - tuner has
one, but the front end doesn't. Maybe there's more, but I don't know.
Not sure what went wrong and when. I presume you know what needs to be
done from this point onwards?

Anyway, this workaround seems perfectly fine for now. Do you think there
is any functionality I will be missing compared to using card=70?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tomislav