modprobing causes double the devices to be created

As I believed my usb stick was giving the inverse of its signal strength, I thought I would try and modify the code (dtt200u-fe.c) to invert it. As I am doing this remotely through ssh I don't have physical access to the devices. However, before installing the revised module, I rmmod dvb-usb-dtt200u, dvb-usb and dvb-core. At that point all my /dev/dvb/adapterN directories had dissappeared. After installing the recompiled module, I then modprobed them back in the reverse order, checking for the existance of /dev/dvb after each step. Nothing appeared until I modprobed dvb-usb-dtt200u at which point, with two sticks connected I get FOUR /dev/dvb/adapterN directores. The devices in each of these directories ALL have different minor id numbers. It seems that these extra devices are interacting in some way, as if I try to run tzap I get lots of usb protocol errors. Anyone any idea where this problem stems from? Is there some bug in the dvb handling code?

--
Alan Chandler
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx