Re: problems capturing analog and digital at the same time with lifeview trio

Nico Sabbi and Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
So MythTV doesn't allow to choose the video format?
Apparently not a non-planar one. I've only found a way to ask for yv12 or 422p(lanar). But I'll ask on the mythtv mailing list, here is going too much off-topic :)
Many, many thanks for you help.

A solution might be to suppress the planar formats on hybrid and duo cards.
I think that removing some sample formats tout-court is a bad idea, because resampling from yuy2 to yv12 for compressing to mpeg* is very likely to reduce quality and introduce slowdowns; if it were possible to remove planar formats only when a dvb capture is running the situation would be more reasonable; anyway, training the user about what he can and should do is is best option IMO.
I agree, but imho the current situation is a bit unpleasant because the user has no way to know what he can do. I fear that without some help by the driver *and* the applications, only a minority of users will get the most out of their hybrid cards.
Yv12 is a planar format. Thats another argument why i originally didn't do
this...
Its not so easy but possible to "block" the planar formats dynamically in
the driver but i am afraid this won't work in practice:
If i had to write a tv application, i would query the device capabilities
in the beginning of the session and assume these to be fixed afterwards.
A compromise might be a combination of the options: block the planar formats
by default but restore the current behaviour with an insmod option.
Is detecting an over-4-DMA-channels situation and returning a specific error (perhaps "bandwidth exceeded" or something like that) a viable option ? This way only an illegal combination will be flagged and the application could have a chance to inform the user or revert to a more appropriate format.

Greetings and thanks,
Riccardo