Newbie stuggling to get freecom usb dvb-t recognised

I am new to this list, and although I have scanned the archive for the past
month or so to look for an answer, I haven't found it.

I have just purchased a pair of freecom usb2.0 dvb-t tuners, with the aim of
setting up a mythtv backend on my Debian Etch server.  As this server has an
important role doing other jobs I don't want to disrupt it too much by
changing to another distribution, but I can get it quite deep into
configuring it if necessary.

I also purchased a pci usb2.0 card which these devices plug into.  I mention
that because someone has questioned whether there is sufficient power to
drive them - and I don't know the answer, but the devices do get quite warm
quite quickly when I plug them in - although this is a stable condition, I
have left them plugged in for 3 days with no ill effects that I can
determine.

Part of my problem is I don't know what is expected to happen when I plug in
(for now) just one of the devices.  Most of the documentation implies that
hotplug will take care of it, but in Debian Etch hotplug has been depreciated
in favour of udev.

What happens at the moment is that the following appears in syslog

usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10

and a new device appears in /sys directory with vendor id 14aa and product id
of 0225. This is close to, but not identical to ids listed for a freecom
device in

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB

I have tried modprobe dvb-usb-dtt200u, and apart from usb-core registering it

Sep  2 08:03:03 roo kernel: usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_dtt200u

there is nothing else in the dmesg buffer or syslog and there are no new
devices in the /dev directory.

I have downloaded three versions of firmware (dvb-usb-wt220u-01.fw
dvb-usb-wt220u-02.fw  dvb-usb-wt220u-zl0353-01.fw) and put them
in /lib/firmware, and made /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware a symlink to the same
directory.  I see no evidence that they are even being used.

Where do I go from here?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk