Re: STB6100, STB0899 programming information?

Manu Abraham wrote:
thomas schorpp wrote:

Robert Schlabbach wrote:

From: "Manu Abraham" <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx>

Shortage of chips ? More than that, the Twinhan DVB-S2 card,
VP-1040 uses the Mantis PCI bridge, which is a new chipset as well.

Not new to me ;)

is Mantis a trademark or a manufacturer?
i want one but twinhan doesnt talk to me.

Mantis is the name of a chip. It looks like a trademark. Mantis II and
Mantis III are expected later. Never try to jump too fast into something
that is too brand new (with any vendor, any product). Will get you into
a lot of frustrations.

i have got used to it ;)
yes, right, and "the rev. 1.0 syndrome".

It will come out soon.

You can look at the STB0899 driver over here.
http://thadathil.net:8000/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/mp-stb0899

Thank you very much! Now I have something work with :)))

a *huge* thing, eheh

ST has been quite kind to provide help to put this driver together.
They did provide information that which was missing from the datasheets
as well, as they wanted to go for a very good driver.

thats real nice, my excuses for bothering them.

ST wanted a business case to provide help. Twinhan promised them volumes
over the next 5 years and asked them to provide help on the same due to
the new delivery system.

understandable.

How well is your driver working in its current state? I have quite some
issues with the TT DVB-S2 card using the Windows driver and software,
such
as sometimes it being completely unable to tune to most transponders -
and
I don't even know if this is only a driver bug or in fact a defective
piece
of hardware I got here... :(

As i heard, someone told me that DVB-S2 needs a better SNR like QAM256
etc. No hands on experience there, just a word of mouth from somebody.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
old noisy lnb, switchbox, cables? maybe some transponders need this new
circular polarisation too, i think older lnb's cant detect it.
and 8/BPSK should be as noise sensitive like 256qam on dvb-c.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Yep, sounds similar to what i heard.

It requires some additional loops like checking for the Pilot symbols
(BC mode) etc Carrier Synchronization, Checking for Unique Words etc.
Hence it looks a bit complex.

Glah... :(

little disappointing, modern devices should be fully automatic and be
capable of blind signal aquisition. too much software-overhead here. st
got homework.

It is not the device needs more work or anything else, but it is the
delivery system in fact. Any demod which tries to hide this will have to
hide it in some form of a binary blob, ie, firmware. since it is part of
the delivery system specification. I would always prefer, open source
than a binary blob.

err, good point for oss, respectively. and so this device could be made future standard changes compatible by adapting Your layered driver software, ok. but expect future devices to get that way "closed", like the Intel CE 6210, http://www.intel.com/design/celect/demodulators/ce6210.htm , wich claimes to have a hardware based state machine without firmware need. the expectable dvb-s2 successor of http://www.intel.com/design/celect/demodulators/ce6313.htm could be that way, then, too.
large scale integration on chips advances always faster than software ;)

Manu

tom