Re: "frontend driver was not found" FC5 and oldTechnotrend card

Hi Andrew and all,

Andrew de Quincey <adq_dvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 26/07/2006 11:50:26:

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 11:52, Stuart Butterfield wrote:
> >
> > I've got two of these cards, one at home, one at work. It's the work one
> > that's giving me grief.
> > I've just tried my home one with exactly the same linux/dvb setup and it
> > works fine, correctly
> > registering the frontend (LSI L64781).
> >
> > AFAIK the two cards are identical, but I'll try my home card in the work
> > PC tomorrow. It could
> > be a hardware fault on the work card.
> >
> > Never been tried with Windows, but both these cards have served me well,
> > literally for years
> > with much older versions of the Linux DVB drivers, although the work one
> > hasn't been used
> > for many months now, so it could be a hardware thing.
>
> Whats the output of lspci -v -n for the non-working and the working
> cards? The
> older fullfeatured cards had quite scrambled PCI subsystem ids, so its likely
> the driver just needs tweaked slightly for you.

The working card has:

01:06.0 0480: 1131:7146 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 13c2:0008
        Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

Whereas the non-functional card has:

00:09.0 0480: 1131:7146 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 13c2:0001
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
        Memory at ea001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

Looking at av7110.c I see the problem in the switch statement on subsystem_device
i.e. for my non-functioning card (0001) it tries to attach to an ALPS TDLB7,
whereas this card actually has the Grundig 29504-401 (as attached when 0008 is
seen and thus why the other card works).

You weren't kidding about the scrambled ids on these old cards ;-(
Looking back I can see that this card had been previously working on a version
of the Linux DVB drivers that was built ... *cough* ... about two years ago.

No surprise things have changed a lot. These old Technotrend cards are
practically antiques ;-)

All the best.

Stuart

--
Dr Stuart Butterfield
Product Manager Mobile TV, Philips Software

Cross Oak Lane, Redhill, UK, RH1 5HA
Mobile: +44 7887 832886
E-mail: stuart.butterfield@xxxxxxxxxxx