Is "did not find firmware" file missing or corrupted file or failed load error?

Hi,

I just purchased Twinhan DVB-T Alpha USB2 tuner, but I'm having problems to initialize this dvb device in Linux 2.6.17.1 kernel.

Kernel log keeps complaining "did not find the firmware file (dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw)" no matter where I have copied the firmware file. I downloaded the fw file from linuxtv/dvb/firmware/ website.

I have copied the fw file to /lib/firmware, /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/, /lib/hotplug/firmware, /usr/lib/firmware etc... directories but kernel keeps complaining about "did not find the firmware file".

Does anyone know where can I check the actual firmware directory from kernel sources? I have self-compiled plain vanilla Kernel 2.6.17.1+SquashFS patched source tree so it should be standard fw dir I guess, but where can I verify it?

I use following commands to load DVB modules and this step works just fine
modprobe i2c-via
modprobe mt352
modprobe dvb-usb
modprobe dvb-usb-vp7045

The system correcly identifies the USB device as Twinhan USB2 DVB-T (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II) device but firmware loading fails. The same device works in WindowsXP. Here are the last three dmesg lines from a kernel log file:

dvb-usb: found a 'Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II)' in cold state, will try to load a firmware dvb-usb: did not find the firmware file. (dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw) Please see linux/Documentation/dvb/ for more details on firmware-problems. (-2)
dvb_usb_vp7045: probe of 4-1:1.0 failed with error -2

I can't believe that I still have the fw file in wrong location because it is in all possible and in-possible directories.

Is this error message really the case that dvb module didn't find the file?
Or could it be the case that the file was found but it failed to load to DVB device? Or maybe even corrupted file? (i have downloaded the file again to make sure it is valid)

How can I really verify the actual reason if the "did not find file" error is just an "unexpected error" type of general error? Are those -2 and probe 4-1:1.0 codes meaningful?

Kernel has hotplug capability enabled and it seems to work because when I plug in the device kernel identifies it correctly but fails to find the fw file.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Mike

Bcc: Subject: Is "did not find firmware" really file missing or corrupted file or
	failed load?
I just purchased Twinhan DVB-T Alpha USB2 tuner, but I'm having problems to initialize this dvb device in Linux 2.6.17.1 kernel.

Kernel log keeps complaining "did not find the firmware file (dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw)" no matter where I have copied the firmware file. I downloaded the fw file from linuxtv/dvb/firmware/ website.

I have copied the fw file to /lib/firmware, /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/, /lib/hotplug/firmware, /usr/lib/firmware etc... directories but kernel keeps complaining about "did not find the firmware file". Where can I check the actual firmware directory? Well, i have self-compiled plain vanilla Kernel 2.6.17.1+SquashFS patched source tree so it should be standard fw dir I guess, but where can I verify it?

I use following commands to load DVB modules and this step works just fine
modprobe i2c-via
modprobe mt352
modprobe dvb-usb
modprobe dvb-usb-vp7045

The system correcly identifies the USB device as Twinhan USB2 DVB-T (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II) device but firmware loading fails. Here are the last three dmesg files.

dvb-usb: found a 'Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II)' in cold state, will try to load a firmware dvb-usb: did not find the firmware file. (dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw) Please see linux/Documentation/dvb/ for more details on firmware-problems. (-2)
dvb_usb_vp7045: probe of 4-1:1.0 failed with error -2

I can't believe that I havent copied the fw file to correct location because it is in so many places.

Is this error message really the case that dvb module didn't find the file?
Or could it be the case that the file was found but it failed to load to DVB device? Or maybe even corrupted file? (i have downloaded the file again to make sure it is valid)

Kernel has hotplug capability enabled and it seems to work because when I plug in the device kernel identifies it correctly.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Mike

--- End Message ---