Re: VLC multicast possible?

On 13 Jul, Simon Baxter wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've been using a DVB-T card with VDR, which allows me to watch one
>> channel and record any/all others within the same bouquet in the transport
>> stream.
>>
>> Is it possible to stream all channels in the transport stream over IP on
>> different multicast addresses?
>>
>> such as:
>> BBC1    239.10.10.10
>> BBC2    239.11.11.11
>> BBC3    239.12.12.12
>>
>> and then use something like the VLC client on PCs on the network to watch
>> the streams?
>
> Looks like you can (google is my friend!)
> vlc -vvv --color --ttl 12  --ts-es-id-pid --programs=8508,8505 dvb: \
> --dvb-frequency=11739000 --dvb-srate=27500000 --dvb-voltage=13 \
> --sout-standard-access=udp --sout-standard-mux=ts --sout \
> '#duplicate{dst=std{dst=address1},select="program=8508",dst=std{dst=address2},select="program=8505"}'http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch09.html#id298576

Yes, indeed. You have to use multiple programs in combination with the
duplicate module.
When you use the option "--sout-all" the stream will contain all
channels to given frequency.

I am sometimes using a command line like:

vlc -vvv  --programs=1025,1026 --color --ttl 12 \
--ts-es-id-pid dvb:// --dvb-frequency=714167000 \
--dvb-adapter=0 --dvb-bandwidth=8 \
--sout="#standard{mux=ps,dst=$FILE_NAME,access=file}"

to record two programs (in the same multiplex) into one file and then
when playing the file with VLC, I can select the different audio and
video tracks for each program. One could also combine the duplicate
module and this to record into different files. There are a lot of
possibilities but you have to experience a bit because the
VLC-Documentation does not cover all possible combinations of the things
you can do.

I am not 100% sure but I believe that in the case of my card (AVerTV USB
A800) the Windows software is not able to let you watch or record more
than one channel per multiplex and VLC for Windows does not have dvb
support (due to special drivers for each card, I believe).