Re: Audio channels (was: Re: [RFC] new dvb channel format)

On 11 Jul, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> frahm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> On 10 Jul, Peter Fassberg wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe off topic now when we know that there is no real need to
>>>define a new format, but I have a problem that maybe someone
>>>have an answer to.
>>>
>>>The Cartoon Network sent here in the Nordics includes two Audio
>>>PIDs, one with Swedish/Danish and one with Norwegian/English.
>>>
>>>Yes, two mono channels in one stereo PID.
>>>
>>>My old Nokia 90xx handles this.
>>>
>>>My Dreambox doesn't.
>>>
>>>And the Linux applications doesn't.
>>

>> I do not know for your Dreambox or Nokia or any other technical details
>> (I am using an AverTV USB A800 DVB-T-Tuner) but I use VLC from Videolan
>> with dvb-support for V4L2 under Linux and I can very well record
>> multiple audio channels (atually also multiple video channels if two
>> programms are on the same multiplex), for example with a command line
> [...]
>
> This is a different issue. The left and right channel of *one* Audio PID
> are different languages.
>
> I remember some patch for VDR a while ago that handled this kind of
> broadcasts.

I have well understood that for this case there are also different
languages in the left and right channels, but as I already mentioned in
my first post, when you use VLC ( www.videolan.org ) there is also menu
where you may select to play the audio part with only left or right
channels IN ADDITION to another menu where you may select the audio
track. The point is, if you use VLC, in the proper way, to record you
have all audio tracks and all channels inside each track in your record
and afterwards all possibilities to play them.