Re: Audio channels (was: Re: [RFC] new dvb channel format)

On 10 Jul, Peter Fassberg wrote:

> Maybe off topic now when we know that there is no real need to
> define a new format, but I have a problem that maybe someone
> have an answer to.
>
> The Cartoon Network sent here in the Nordics includes two Audio
> PIDs, one with Swedish/Danish and one with Norwegian/English.
>
> Yes, two mono channels in one stereo PID.
>
> My old Nokia 90xx handles this.
>
> My Dreambox doesn't.
>
> And the Linux applications doesn't.

I do not know for your Dreambox or Nokia or any other technical details
(I am using an AverTV USB A800 DVB-T-Tuner) but I use VLC from Videolan
with dvb-support for V4L2 under Linux and I can very well record
multiple audio channels (atually also multiple video channels if two
programms are on the same multiplex), for example with a command line
(or better a script) like:

vlc -vvv --programs 1025 --color --ttl 12 --ts-es-id-pid dvb://
--dvb-frequency=714167000 --dvb-adapter=0 --dvb-bandwidth=8
--sout="#standard{mux=ps,dst=$1,access=file}"

(here $1 is a file name given as an argument for the script). In France
there are serveral DVB-T programs with two audio tracks, e.g. german and
french with ARTE or french mp2 and french ac3 with M6 etc.
I can even replace above the option programs by: "--programs 1025,1026"
and in this way record in one file two video channels (from two french
TV programs: M6 and W9 which are on the same frequency) and there are
also three audio channels (one for W9 and two for M6). Later in playing
the file, also with VLC, I can easily select the video and audio tracks
to play and also inside one stereo audio track I can chose between the
left and right stereo channel.

I believe if you use VLC with enabled dvb support (use the
./configure option "--enable-dvb" when compiling VLC because this is not
enable by default!) you should have access to all audio channels
independent of your hardware and driver versions, at least I believe so.
VLC is maybe less convenient than mplayer, MythTV or Xine but in my
opinion it has much better and general possibilites, especially when you
want to record programs directely in a useful format (e.g. Mpeg2 with
PS-encapsulation).
I can only recommend VLC as Video software with dvb under Linux.