Re: [RFC] new dvb channel format

christophpfister@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all

It seems that the time has come to develop a new channel format for dvb-apps. Andrew and I agreed on the following style, but comments / suggestions / opinions are always welcome ;)

We need that format because currently dvb-t is broken (only tuning to hp stream is possible) and other delivery systems are coming soon (dvb-s2 / dss / dvb-h / ...). I know there are different approaches to get down to such a task - we decided to focus on human readability and flexibility. This format would be used for the zap / gnutv / scan (also for the initial tuning files) applications.

IMHO, scan/zap, the dead simple ones which exists right now, should use the very same channels.conf format only. For the upcoming "gnutv", it would be welcome and make sense as well, such a change, but not for scan/zap. The reason being people are more comfortable with the existing format. Additional parameters can be added to the very same format, thereby not needing a change for the dead simple utilities for debugging, ie zap and scan.

I still use a version of the ca_zap, that depends on the channels.conf format.

The simple utilities like scan/zap, should be left alone as it is, which is classified as stable.

Manu