Re: [RFC] new dvb channel format

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, christophpfister@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It seems that the time has come to develop a new channel format for
> dvb-apps. Andrew and I agreed on the following style, but comments /
> suggestions / opinions are always welcome ;)

There should be a parameter for the PID of the PMT.  Even if you know the
PIDs of the audio and video streams, there is still information in the PMT
that is useful.

For example, without the PMT mplayer will try to auto-detect the format of
the audio stream.  This causes frequent audio skips on some stations.  This
has a lot to do with the stupidness of mplayer TS demuxer, and I've fixed
my mplayer to virtually eliminate this problem.  But it's still true that
there is information like language descriptors, conditional access
descriptors, stream format, etc. in the PMT that is part of the channel.

It is very common for channels to have multiple audio streams.  I don't see
anything about how this is handled.  Multiple audio_pid lines?  Multiple
pids listed on one audio_pid line?  Is there any way to associate a
language with an audio pid?  Which audio pid should be the default?  The
first one?

Can PIDs be specified in hex?  It seems like all the tools that print PIDs
print them in hex.

Modulation should be mandatory for ATSC.

Can a channel have multiple names?  I'd like to be able to refer to
channels both by their number and the broadcaster's name.