Re: No /dev/dvb/ with DViCO Fusion HDTV DVB-T Plus, Gentoo 2.6.16-r9

Samuel Cook wrote:
Sam,

Simon is suggesting that you apply the patch located at:

http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/pending/dvbdev-subsys-initcall.patch

Please let us know if this fixes it for you.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll run the patch shortly.

Just to clear things up completely; will I need to recompile my kernel after
running this patch, or re-run the Chris' driver installer (or both?), or
should I just run the patch and reboot?

Proper netiquette for mailing lists is to write your new text BELOW the quoted content.

With that aside, I was under the impression ( based on Simon's email - http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-June/010896.html ) that you have compiled the cx88 driver and the dvb modules static INTO your kernel (not as modules). If that is the case, then you yes, you will need to recompile your kernel after applying the patch above.

However, you're talking about some driver installer from Chris' website? In which case, you either DID compile these driver as modules, and the patch above will not help you, OR you are experiencing driver conflicts between the static in-kernel driver and the new modules from Chris' site.

Now this all sounds like a mess to me... Let's instead start it from the top:

#1) make sure that you have v4l and dvb stuff selected in your kernel to build AS MODULES.

#2) forget about the patch above

#3) forget about Chris' web site

#4) build the new modules from the linuxtv.org MASTER mercurial repository. ( http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_mercurial )

Chris' patches have already been merged into the master hg tree on linuxtv.org

#5) reboot your computer

Good Luck!

-Mike