Will a DirecTV Dish work with FTA Channels?

Hi,
I'm setting up a new HTCP on a Debian box with a technisat DVB card. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can use a DirecTV dish and lnb that I happen to have. I'm just looking to get the FTA channels to start with. For clarification: I'm not trying to get DirectTV programming, I just wanna use the DirecTV dish to feed the DVB Card.

Is it possible? And, Where can I learn more about different antenna types for DVB?

Thank you,
Dave