Re: PCMCIA CAM/CI inserted into computer's PCMCIA slot

Mikael Hakman wrote:

An alternative solution would be using the original SmartCard (the one that is inserted into CAM) in a smart card reader in a notebook and then do whatever CAM does but in PC software. However, I think that the PCMCIA CAM route is cleaner.

This alternative solution is called a SoftCAM and is more practical.

Ok, I'm listening. I suppose that there are different libraries for different CA Smart Cards. Where can I find such SoftCam software? Please note I'm not looking for encryption/key cracking software. I'm looking for software that allows me to use legal card in a notebook.

First of CSA (Common Scrambling Algorithm) (this is what the CA modules use in the software inside the modules) to be done in Software is considered illegal for all practical purposes. All the modules do use this common algorithm. But there exists some implementations for the same. VDR has a plugin to do that. You may search for it. As i haven't used SoftCAM's, can't give you any good guidance on the same.

The general idea is that you extract the keys from your subscription using a card reader and provide the software with the keys. That is the basic concept how it works. Maybe someone can give you a more detailed outlook.

Manu