Re: [RFC] kernel compat code, how far to go back?

Em Sáb, 2006-05-13 às 14:55 -0700, Trent Piepho escreveu:
> In kernel 2.6.0, struct i2c_driver got two new fields, 'owner' and 'driver'.
> The owner field later went away in 2.6.16.
>
> Some code checks for kernel >= 2.6.0 before it sets stuff in the .driver
> field.
>
> Other code has some i2c_driver compat checks, but it doesn't try to handle
> kernels < 2.6.0.
>
> tuner_core.c doesn't get the check correct, and looks for kernel >= 2.5.0 when
> it should be >= 2.6.0.  I suppose this means there aren't many users for 2.5
> kernels...
>
> I'd like to improve the way struct i2c_driver compatibility is handled.  Here
> are three versions of what the driver could would look like.  I've removed a
> few lines of code that aren't relevant.
Hmm... I didn't got the idea of versions. Perhaps you've forgot to
include something?

Let me explain a little bit about compatibility and V4L/DVB tree.

The main motivation is to allow a broad range of V4L/DVB users to test
newest code. There are some groups of users that may require usage of
the tree with old kernels:
1) newbies;
2) production servers;
3) embeebed systems.

The last two groups are very interesting ones, since, on those cases,
V4L/DVB is used on professional environments were testing are required.

In a recent past (before inclusion of videodev/videobuf at the tree) V4L
tree was compatible to kernel 2.4 series. It would be interesting to
recover compat to 2.4, since some embeebed systems still use 2.4 due to
size requirements.

There were also several compat tests for 2.5 series, generated during
2.5 development. There's no interest on being compat to 2.5 series.

One important stuff to be considered, however, is that all compat
differences should be gone, when generating kernel patches. This is done
automatically, by v4l/scripts/gentree.pl.

Cheers,
Mauro.