USB DVB-T tuners "vanish" after about 30 minutes of activity

Hi,

I'm having a weird problem with two different USB DVB-T tuners, on two
different PC's.  Some background:

Tuner 1: Nova-T USB2 (dvb-usb-nova-t-usb2-01.fw)
Tuner 2: Freecom Stick (dvb-usb-wt220u-02.fw)

PC1: EPIA M10000 Nehemiah chipset
PC2: Athlon 2600+ with VIA chipset (don't have exact motherboard
details to hand)

What happens is that regardless of the combination of PC and tuner,
the tuner initialises fine, and is perfectly usable for about 30
minutes of activity.  I can run tzap, view streams with e.g. mplayer,
record streams with MythTV etc. - no problems.  Picture quality is
excellent in all cases.

After that, the tuner just goes away... all I see in the system log is
a standard USB disconnect message, e.g.:

May 12 11:26:35 localhost kernel: [4303419.748000] usb 4-3: USB
disconnect, address 4
May 12 11:26:35 localhost kernel: [4303419.748000] usb 4-3.2: USB
disconnect, address 9

(the first line above is the powered USB hub to which the tuner was
connected & the second line is the tuner itself).  The power light on
the tuner goes off at this point, and nothing short of rebooting the
PC will allow the tuner to be detected again.  At this point, "lsusb"
hangs, and cannot be killed by any means.

I initally figured that this could be a power issue, since I know
these tuners are power-hungry, and VIA chipsets are known to have
problems with power supply.  But I have exactly the same problem on a
mains-powered USB hub so that seems to rule that out.

Driver-wise, I've tried with various kernel revisions from about
2.6.10 (various Gentoo builds) up to 2.6.15 (current Dapper beta
kernel).

Searching the web didn't find any similar problems, but I can't
believe it's just me when it happens with two completely different
machines and tuners.  Anyone?

--
Des Herriott
des.herriott@xxxxxxxxx