Re: Hauppauge IR remote codes & basic C programming

Darren Salt has done some great work getting extra buttons working, but
I'd like to understand better how the IR codes are processed and end up
recognised by the modules.  Specifically I need more granular codes from
my remote, as it conflicts with my TV remote.
I have a Nova-T card and this is what I did to get the right
keys bound to the remote:

1. look in the file /usr/src/linux/driver/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-ci.c
there is a key_map array defined, like this...

/* from reading the following remotes:
  Zenith Universal 7 / TV Mode 807 / VCR Mode 837
  Hauppauge (from NOVA-CI-s box product)
  i've taken a "middle of the road" approach and note the differences
*/
static u16 key_map[64] = {
       /* 0x0X */
       KEY_0, KEY_1, KEY_2, KEY_3, KEY_4, KEY_5, KEY_6, KEY_7, KEY_8,

2. replace all the KEY_xxx constants with the number 0, ie

static u16 key_map[64] = {
       /* 0x0X */
       0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,

and so on.

3. re-compile the kernel (!) and reboot

4. press each key on your remote in turn, each press should generate a
line in /var/log/messages - like this:
DVB: no key for 2a!

where "2a" will be different for each key - this is the hex value of the
key's position in the key_map array

5. replace the 0's you put in the key_map array with KEY_xxx constants
appropriate to the key on your remote
eg if pressing 1 on the remote generates the message "no key for 2a!",
then set entry 42 in the key_map array to KEY_1

6. re-compile and reboot again

I think I'm going about this all the wrong way.

The problem I'm having is when I hit VOL-UP and VOL-DOWN on my Phillips TV remote, it also triggers FF and REW on VDR. I'd been trying to get more granularity, so a key stroke from the Hauppauge remote would generate a different, perhaps longer string.

I ran a 'input-event' test, hit the various remote buttons and can confirm the IR receiver is differentiating between FF/REW and VOLUP/DOWN.

Maybe there's a problem with VDR?

I'll put a question to the VDR forum...