Re: Re: missing compat.h for dvbdev.h

Trent Piepho wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Michael Krufky wrote:
v4l/scripts/makelinks.sh /path/to/kernel/source

4) build your new kernel as you normally would... This time, it will
contain the latest bleeding-edge drivers from v4l-dvb.hg

I hope you find this useful.

I wish I had known about that before I made more or less the same links myself
manually!
I had to run some more 'make kernel-links' tests last night. Unfortunately I must report that the build method is somewhat broken at this time, due to some files being moved in the git trees, and the way that Mauro imported the changes back into mercurial.

This problem should be resolved automagically after Linus pulls Mauro's tree, but I don't know for sure if it will ever work correctly against older kernels until Mauro adds the rest of the usb/media drivers from the kernel into the mercurial tree.

After creating the symlinks, when you try to build the kernel, menuconfig will yell about some missing Kconfig files. In order to fix it so that the kernel build will work without those particular drivers:

touch path/to/the/missing/Kconfig

The main purpose of the makelinks.sh script is to test the in-kernel build against the latest development kernel. Think of it as a virtual staging area to test the in-kernel build configuration. Although it can be made to be perfectly backwards compatable with older kernels, the priority is that it will work with the latest -git snapshot. After Linus pulls Mauro's v4l-dvb.git tree, all will be back to normal once again.

Cheers,

--
Michael Krufky