Re: Patch for /Documentation/dvb/bt8xx.txt, Revision 2

hi,

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 17:31, Uwe Bugla wrote:
> [...]

no, sometimes you _should_ know what is en/disabled if you set a parameter to 0.

> Who needs the info like "get_device_ID"? No one does! Because it does not
> help! Parameters unequal to zero help.
let people decide themselves what is an important information.

> Who needs the advice to send in complete logs without being asked for? No
> one does! Gerd Knorr wuold beat you dead for that!
> Who needs the information that verbose=1 is optimal setting? No one does!
> If the card works no parameters are needed at all.
> Who needs endless author lists? No one does! One person doing the linguistic
> and editorial work, or even two: That´s it!
i can't agree on that. if one of the authors isn't available, you should have a fallback.
also are copyrights kept, even if some other person does takeover the work completely.

> Who needs endless card IDs if one single card is PROVEN to be the exception?
> No one does! One cross reference solves it!
> I am used to scientific working methods, I know the difference between a
> thesis, an assumption and a proven FACT.
sometimes facts are not really enough for understanding. in this case of card ids you
might be right, but you prove facts as being generally enough. that's not a fact imho.

> > Documents are written by the developers for users for understanding the
> > drivers. Users who feel that documentation is not right may contribute
> > back to it, but not rip away all the information from it.
> In my experience real capable developers are rather introverted persons, i.
> e. very weak in linguistic terms. Now if they attempt to write docus big
> mess comes out in most of all cases, not in all cases.
> I spent about one complete day to get a sophisticated concept of a very good
> docu: compact, small, easily to comprehend.
> I strictly followed Edgar´s path to chop out everything not being strictly
> necessary.
 > As I respect your and Edgar´s profound knowledge about the driver I would
> ask you personally to respect my capabilities vice versa.
> I am NOT keen on any quarrels especially with you personally so this will be
> my first answer and my last one.
nice to read that you won't start another flamewar.

> I expect you to be an excellent maintainer proven by FACTS I can see
> through. I expect you to use vocabulary like "regression" in a thoughtful
> intelligent way and in the right context.
> I am still trying to think positive although especially you personally have
> been real upsetting and sucking in the past months.
> If you keep on caressing your mercurial tree I cannot and I will not stop
> you from doing that. For me it is relevant what is in the main kernel. For
> me it is relevant that there are no breakdowns in driver support anymore.
> So before you begin to react on my work the way you did I would appreciate
> you to use your brain and think it all over.
> So instead of reacting in that manner prove to me and others that you are an
> excellent programmer and an excellent maintainer.
> If that is too much for you get yourself substituted by another person.
these sentences don't reflect any kind of personal respect on the devs.
they are even not a bit friendly.

all my comments are just my personal opinion.
to be as friendly as you have been within this email, just a hint from my side:

try to use _your_ brain not to complain about others, but provide _real_ facts.
discussions shouldn't get personally at all. everybody on this list is providing infomation
and progression to the whole project. some do more, other do less. but, as a fact,
iirc nobody wrote emails in a style you do.

> Kind regards
> Uwe Bugla
> >
> > Manu

regards