powerpc as PVR - need some advice

Hi list,

because for the time being I don't have any hope of getting my UMT-012
(Hanftek) to work, I eventually choose to buy a Terratec Cinergy C2.
Finally my system is working well even for long times (I use to have
problems in long term runs with my previous USB1.1 no-name tuner) and
now I come to ask for your expertise!

The system is a debianized (Sarge) Mini-Mac with no screens attached.
I've put together a bunch of scripts wich allows me to schedule a
recording. To record the stream I do use mencoder, transcoding in real
time to mpeg4 (mencoder command line options: -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=mp2:abitrate=96:autoaspect -oac lavc -vf dint).

Everything is working fine but:
a) I'm curious if there are better (from the performance perspective)
ways to do the same thing.
b) How are other people in the list dealing with the same issue.

Thank you all in advance for your answers!

DAniele