Re: [ANNOUNCE] v4l-dvb development migrating from CVS to Mercurial

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:53:59PM -0500, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> Tomi Ollila wrote:
> >Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >>I've never heard of Mercurial. CVS worked fine for me, and I'm not
> >>going to use Mercurial.
> >>
> >You have also an option to jump out from stone age and start using
> >modern tools ;). Maybe checking
> >
> Does anyone know why they chose Mercurial instead of Subversion?  I have
> yet to see a comparison between HG and SVN so I'm curious what the
> advantages are.  I use Subversion and like it much more than CVS.  In my
> extremely short experience with HG, I found it less intuitive to use.

Subversion has a centralized development model.

E.g. in [1], the Subversion developers themselves explained why
Subversion wouldn't fit Linus' development model.

The times when CVS was the only known open source version control system
are over. There are currently more than half a dozen alternatives, and
everyone uses what suits his needs best.

cu
Adrian

[1] http://subversion.tigris.org/subversion-linus.html

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.